|First plant's seal||1783 emblem||1973 emblem of Sverdlovsk|
Originally, Ekaterinburg was designed and built as the capital of the mining area; it had its own symbols from the first years of existence. The earliest symbol of the Ural capital represented a wheel on the first seal of Ekaterinburg plant.
The official emblem of Ekaterinburg was approved by Catherine II on July 17, 1783. That year Ekaterinburg received the status of the chief town of an uyezd, a territory division of Perm province. The emblem of Ekaterinburg had the following design: “On the upper field of the shield there is the emblem of Perm, on the lower field, in green, there is a silver smelter and a shaft”. 13 more emblems were approved along with Ekaterinburg’s, including that of Perm. All of them were performed in the same colour range. According to the tradition, uyezd emblems were halved. In the red upper field there was a silver bear with a book of Gospel on its back and the silver cross above them.
In 1924 Ekaterinburg was renamed Sverdlovsk after one of the Bolshevik leaders. In 1973 Sverdlovsk received its new emblem: dark-red perimeter of the wall of Ekaterinburg fortified plant in the centre of the silver field with a gear on it; upside down comes the blue ribbon (the Iset river) crossing the fortress perimeter. A stylized atom image is at the top of the pillar. On the left there is a rampant sable (mark of the Demidovs' plants) looking to its right, and on the right there is a lizard (symbol of Pavel Bazhov’s fairy-tales) looking to its left.
In September, 1991 the city regained its historical name of Ekaterinburg. In 1995 the present emblem of Ekaterinburg was officially adopted in the State herald’s office under the President of the Russian Federation. The upper part resembles the fortress which Ekaterinburg used to be in its early days. The wavy sky-blue ribbon In the lower part is the Iset river connecting the past and the present, Europe and Asia. A bear symbolizing the European part of Russia and a sable Its Asian counterpart - hold the shield. A sable, moreover, used to be the Ural metal brand under the Demidovs. Both animals are rampant on each side of the shield, their teeth and tongues are stuck out. They are so aggressive because they guard the city. At the bottom the shield is decorated with a druse implying the scietific potential of the city and mineral resources of the Urals,In 2008 the emblem received a new element, a crown With five castellations resembling a fortress tower.
Since 2008 Ekaterinburg has its own flag. On June 24, 2008 it was approved and included in the State heraldic register of the Russian Federation. According to heraldry rules the flag symbols have to reproduce those of an emblem of the city of Ekaterinburg. Pictures of the shaft and the smelter symbolise Ekaterinburg, the industrial city with high scientific and cultural potential. Emerald green is the historic color of the Urals. The yellow strip symbolizes the Ural mountains connecting Europe and Asia, their beauty, grandeur and mineral wealth. The blue strip in the flag’s lower part is the Iset. Also, blue and yellow strips symbolize Europe and Asia and emphasize the unique location of Ekaterinburg on the junction of two parts of the world.