The monument dedicated to the heroism of the soldiers of the Ural Volunteer Tank Corps was opened on February 23, 1962, sculptors V. M. Druzin and P. A. Sazhin.
The total height of the monument is almost 14 meters. 6-meter high bronze figures of a worker and a tank crewman emphasizing the unity of home and battle fronts are placed on stylized tank-shaped pedestal made of polished Ural granite. The relief on the pedestal depicts military and labor heroic deeds of the people of the Urals in 1941-1945 during the Great Patriotic War, the unbreakable connection of home and battle fronts.
Ural Volunteer Tank Corps (30th tank corps) was formed in 1943 and equipped with weapons and machinery produced with voluntary overtime work and donations by the citizens of Sverdlovsk, Chelyabinsk, and Molotov Oblasts. The Corps’ personnel were also recruited here in the Urals. The first battle the Corps took part in was on July 27, 1943 during the second phase of the Battle of Kursk. During its two years at war the Corps marched over 5 500 km from Oryol to Prague. 27 of its soldiers and sergeants became Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory, and 38 became Heroes of the Soviet Union.
For its distinctive feature – the worker's extended hand in a gauntlet – the monument earned its affectionate nickname "The Mitten".