The cathedral construction in 1818-1854 was sponsored by the local merchant Y. M. Ryazanov.
Svyato-Troitskiy Cathedral was built in the south-eastern part of the city, at the corner of Sennaya square that existed back then and Sibirsky Avenue (currently Kuybysheva Street). The cathedral was one of the richest in town; in 1920 during their anti-religion campaign the Bolsheviks confiscated form the church five pounds of silver and an icon frame decorated with 132 diamonds.
In 1930 the church was closed, its bell tower and domes destroyed. The building itself was at various times used to house a movie theater, textile factory, and “Avtomobilist” culture center. It was returned to the church only in 1996. The cathedral then had been restoring for a several years, and it was finally opened and consecrated on September 24, 2000.
After its reconstruction in 2000, the cathedral was consecrated by Patriarch Alexiy II himself.