Famous Ural writer Dmitry Mamin-Sibiryak lived in this house in 1885-1891.
The house currently occupied by the museum was purchased by writer Dmitry Mamin-Sibiryak in 1885 with the royalties he earned for his novel “The Privalov Fortune”. The writers family – his mother, sister, and brother − also lived here.
The museum was established in 1930, and in 1946 it opened its doors to the first visitors. The museum staff carefully maintains the atmosphere of the writer’s times. The exposition shows the writer’s workplace, tells about his work on the most significant novels. All this is directly intertwined with his private life, relations with family members and friends who had always been a part of the artist’s world.
House-Museum of Mamin-Sibiryak is filled with images, allegories and hidden meanings. There are both authentic and stylized artifacts in the interiors of the museum but both reflect the writer’s personality, his reflections, ideas, and works.
On the writer’s 150th anniversary in 2002 Writers Union of Russia and Writers Association of the Urals established the Mamin-Sibiryak literary award, annually presented to authors whose work is in one way or another connected with the Urals. The first award ceremony was held in November 2002 in Mamin-Sibiryak’s hometown of Visim, Sverdlovsk Oblast.