The memorial church was consecrated in 2003 at the site of execution of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II and his family.
One of the largest churches in Ekaterinburg and pilgrimage destination for people from all over Russia, it was built in 2000-2003 at the site of execution of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II and his family, which took place on the night of July 16-17, 1918. This is the third church-on-the-blood in Russia after the ones in Uglich (built on the spot of tsarevich Dmitry’s murder in 1591) and St. Petersburg (built on the spot where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated in 1881).
The church marks the exact place where the infamous Ipatiev’s House stood before its demolition in 1977. At this place the lives of the last Russian Emperor Nicholas II and his family (wife – Empress Alexandra, daughters – Tatiana, Maria, Olga, Anastasia, and son – Alexey) came to a tragic abrupt end. Along with the Romanovs family doctor Botkin, footman Trupp, ladies’ maid Demidova and cook Kharitonov were also executed here by the Bolsheviks.
60-meter high church is of Russian-Byzantine style and consists of two parts. The upper temple is consecrated in the name of All Saints Shone Forth in the Land of Russia, the lower temple − in the name of Saint Royal Martyrs. The basement level includes a memorial room.
Outside the church 23 steps lead from the lower temple to the upper temple – they represent the number of years Nicholas II ruled the country, as well as the number of steps that led to the basement of the Ipatiev’s house with the execution room.