A building of the Ural State Mining University (building of the second Women’s Gymnasium named after Alexey). The question concerning the second women’s gymnasium in Ekaterinburg was raised in city administration in 1897.
In 1903 the gymnasium was opened but the students temporary stationed at the building of the secondary school dormitory. To construct a new building the board of regents was set up which had to do with a land purchase and a permission to build a made-to-order house. In 1910 St. Petersburg architect community introduced conditions for the project competition and the same year they got three prize-winning plans. The projects were investigated by Ekaterinburg architects and the plan called “Vesna” (Spring) was approved. The author is not known.
In January, 1913 the gymnasium moved to their new building from the secondary school dormitory. In 1917 the Mining University was opened in Ekaterinburg which consequently occupied the gymnasium building.
Among the Mining University students are participants of the Great Patriotic War who got the title of Hero of the Soviet Union – Bogatov P.A., Krutoshinsky A.M., Kudryavitsky D.A., Oprokidnev B.K., Yakimov A.P. Graduates and teachers of the University – Honored Scientists and Engineers – have their names on the memorial plates which are located on the northern façade of the building.
The Ural State Mining University (the building of the second women’s gymnasium named after Alexey) is situated on the corner of Khokhryakova Street (former Tikhvinskaya) and Kuybysheva Street (former Sibersky prospect). The area from the north and from the west is limited by a forged metal fence, 230 meters long in which openwork decorative elements interchange with round cast-iron columns, with spheres on the top of tailored basements.
The building is an intricate complex of three-storey buildings connected between each other. They include administrative and teaching blocks, a church, a dormitory and several later constructions.
It is an example of an educational establishment built according to principles of late modernism and is distinguished by functional design completeness which contributed to the harmonious overall view.
In some places fragments of original interior are left, like built-in furniture and wall-mounted mirrors implemented in “modern” stylistics. The stairs are protected by forged bar screesns.