The main building of the former Ural State University named after A. M. Gorky, architect A. P. Taff.
USU named after A. M. Gorky – one of the oldest universities in the Urals, an alma mater for many locals – was established on October 19, 1920 by Sovnarkom decree. It initially included mining, polytechnic, medical, agricultural, pedagogical, social sciences institutes, and a working faculty. It was named after writer Gorky (who played an active role in the new university’s establishment) in 1936.
The U-shaped building in the style of the Soviet "neo-classic" on Lenina Avenue was originally designed as an administrative building for Sverdlovskugol plant. Later it housed the local Sovnarhoz (regional economic council), and only after it was dismissed the premises became the main administrative and academic building of USU.
The Ural University was of a classic type, providing the students with general fundamental knowledge in the chosen subject area, allowing them to later pursue careers in a much wider field.
The largest education center in the country – Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia Boris Yeltsin – was established in Ekaterinburg in 2009 uniting Ural State Technical University and Ural State University named after Gorky. The integrated university currently enrolls about 57 thousand students and employs over 3.5 thousand teachers, over 30 of those are national academics.
The library of the famous Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum was given to the new university to establish the base for its scientific library.