In 1880-1883 the house was rented by Dmitry Mamin-Sibiryak’s family. The museum was opened here on May 18, 2000.
The house № 16 on Ofitserskaya Street in June 1880 till August 19, 1883 was rented by writer Dmitry Mamin-Sibiryak, his mother, sister, and brother.
In 1919 Ofitserskaya Street was renamed Proletarskaya, and Ekaterinburg was renamed Sverdlovsk in 1924. In the early 1980s Sverdlovsk was changing its appearance and quickly renewing. The problem of Proletarskaya Street (as located in the very heart of the city) reconstruction was raised. According to the initial reconstruction plan all the ramshackle structures were subjects to demolition, but the house once occupied by the famous writer was passed on to the Museum of the Ural Writers to be restored as historic monument. This wooden one-story house sheathed with planks, with a hipped roof and framed windows decorated with carved ornaments is a rare example of the Russian wooden classist architecture. In the late 18th – early 19th century such houses were typical and shaped the appearance of provincial Russian towns.
In 1994 an exhibition hall was opened in the building, and in 2000 “The Wonderland” Museum of Dolls and Children’s Books began its. Every two years the museum rotates its exposition. Children can attend special events, celebrations, contests and puppet performances held regularly in the museum.
While living in this house Dmitry Mamin-Sibiryak wrote one of the first versions of his famous novel “The Privalov Fortune”, as well as short stories “Sisters” and “Funtik”, and essay "Our aliens" (on the inhabitants of the Far North).