The city hall was built in 1928-1954, architects G. A. Golubev and M. V. Reisher.
The site of the City Administration used to be occupied by a large merchant court that burnt down in 1902. A construction of a new one was never finished because of the Revolution. However, its already built part was used in 1926-1928 when Prombank Business-house was being constructed. This building today adjoins the main City Administration building at 8 Marta Street side.
In 1928-1930 the five-storey city hall building was finished. The first version was designed in constructivist style – architecturally ponderous, with extremely large windows. Authors of the project, architects Golubev and Reisher were staunch advocates of this new trend at the time. Starting in 1944 the city hall underwent a massive reconstruction with columns added to the façade, granite coating to the ground part, and M. D. Novakovsky’s sculptures (representing labor occupations) installed along the roof perimeter. A tower with a spire and chimes designed by Reisher was constructed in 1954. As a result, the city hall acquired its current image characteristic of the Stalin era “neoclassicism”, known for such structures as famous high-risers in Moscow, for example.
During the Soviet era the building was occupied by the city committee of the Communist Party and the City Council. Since 1991 it houses Ekaterinburg City Administration and Ekaterinburg Municipal Duma.
They say the sample clock mechanism for the city hall was brought from Germany by marshal Georgiy Zhukov. Local engineers used it as an example to build their own clock that was later put up at Ekaterinburg’s clock tower. The mechanism installed nearly 60 years ago never failed.
The main clock of Ekaterinburg is the largest in the Urals. Its dial plate diameter is 3.5 meters, with hour hand 1.5 and minute 2 meters long. Prior to 2005, the city clock was wound up twice a week, which took considerable effort because of the over 200 kg weight. The electronic equipment was later installed, and now all four dial plates are connected to the satellite, which automatically corrects even slightest deviations of hands. The old clock mechanism is still preserved as the emergency back-up though. A sound of Ekaterinburg’s chimes is just as powerful as that of the country’s main clock: the equipment for them was purchased from the Kremlin suppliers. A clock chimes every 15 minutes.